Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
Should i bother changing this profile
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorninehours
Registered: April 3, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 1,998
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
i bought the Denzel Washington film Man on Fire. i got the special edition but when i put the ean from the cardboard sleeve in nothing came up so i looked at the keep case and it has a different ean when i put this ean in that was OK (plus the keep case is the Two Disc Collector's Edition) What I'm asking is should i bother changing the profile basically just to add the cardboard sleeve.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorVoltaire53
Missed again!
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 2,278
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting ninehours:
Quote:
i bought the Denzel Washington film Man on Fire. i got the special edition but when i put the ean from the cardboard sleeve in nothing came up so i looked at the keep case and it has a different ean when i put this ean in that was OK (plus the keep case is the Two Disc Collector's Edition) What I'm asking is should i bother changing the profile basically just to add the cardboard sleeve.


The correct thing to do is download the 'normal' one as you have done and then change the EAN to match the one on the sleeve:

DVD -> Change EAN

Now, since the only difference is the sleeve (well, check the sleeve hasn't got a different title or edition on of course), either you can scan the sleeve and replace the images with the correct ones or, if you don't have a scanner (or can't be bothered) just delete the old images (because they do not match the new EAN and are against the Rules).

Then just contribute it so it can be added to the database and the next person who buys it and puts in the EAN gets all the nice data downloaded, just like you do for titles other people have contributed.
It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorninehours
Registered: April 3, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 1,998
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Voltaire53:
Quote:
Quoting ninehours:
Quote:
i bought the Denzel Washington film Man on Fire. i got the special edition but when i put the ean from the cardboard sleeve in nothing came up so i looked at the keep case and it has a different ean when i put this ean in that was OK (plus the keep case is the Two Disc Collector's Edition) What I'm asking is should i bother changing the profile basically just to add the cardboard sleeve.


The correct thing to do is download the 'normal' one as you have done and then change the EAN to match the one on the sleeve:

DVD -> Change EAN

Now, since the only difference is the sleeve (well, check the sleeve hasn't got a different title or edition on of course), either you can scan the sleeve and replace the images with the correct ones or, if you don't have a scanner (or can't be bothered) just delete the old images (because they do not match the new EAN and are against the Rules).

Then just contribute it so it can be added to the database and the next person who buys it and puts in the EAN gets all the nice data downloaded, just like you do for titles other people have contributed.


The keep case is the two Disc Collector's Edition

The Cardboard sleeve says Special Edition
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorVoltaire53
Missed again!
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 2,278
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting ninehours:
Quote:

The keep case is the two Disc Collector's Edition
The Cardboard sleeve says Special Edition


Then the Edition should also be changed along with the cover artwork before contributing. The rest should be the same given that inside the sleeve it is the old EAN!
It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorWinston Smith
Don't be discommodious
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 21,610
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Yoiu don't change the artwork or any of the other data if it is NOT the Original release. Maintain data specific to your release but do NOT submit it if it is not the Priginal release for that EAN. How do you tell, probably post as much as you can here, including a scan of your cover. One of us will probably know the answer.

Skip
ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
Outta here

Billy Video
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorTheMadMartian
Alien with an attitude
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 13,178
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Yoiu don't change the artwork or any of the other data if it is NOT the Original release. Maintain data specific to your release but do NOT submit it if it is not the Priginal release for that EAN. How do you tell, probably post as much as you can here, including a scan of your cover. One of us will probably know the answer.

Skip


It has a completely different UPC.  That is why he is asking the question.  It really helps if you read the entire thread. 
No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever.
There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom.
Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand.
The Centauri learned this lesson once.
We will teach it to them again.
Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
- Citizen G'Kar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorm.cellophane
tonight's the night...
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 3,480
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Yoiu don't change the artwork or any of the other data if it is NOT the Original release. Maintain data specific to your release but do NOT submit it if it is not the Priginal release for that EAN. How do you tell, probably post as much as you can here, including a scan of your cover. One of us will probably know the answer.

He's not talking about changing the existing profile for the sleeveless profile. He's talking about having a new profile for the UPC of the version that has the sleeve which is not currently in the main db.

@Unicus: jinx 
...James

"People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well. That’s my burden, I guess." ~ Dexter Morgan
 Last edited: by m.cellophane
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantnuoyaxin
prev. known as ya_shin
Registered: March 13, 2007
Taiwan, Province of China Posts: 3,398
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Voltaire53:
Quote:
Now, since the only difference is the sleeve (well, check the sleeve hasn't got a different title or edition on of course), either you can scan the sleeve and replace the images with the correct ones or, if you don't have a scanner (or can't be bothered) just delete the old images (because they do not match the new EAN and are against the Rules).

If the images are basically the same, then I don't see the need to remove them. Too bad though, that this cannot be commented in teh Contribution Notes, as new profiles don't let you enter Notes
Achim [Ya-Shin//Nuo]
Registered: May 29, 2000 (at InterVocative)
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next