Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next
Fastest Method?
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantproverbs311031
Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 11
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
What's the fastest method of determining if a profile in my local database has not been contributed to the master database? I use DVD Profiler for Windows.

Thanks in advance.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhuskersports
Registered: September 29, 2008
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 1,999
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I right-click on the disc icon with the 2 people on it (to the right of the UPC). Then click on the pop-up "View contribution notes". This will take you to the profile's contribution page. If there are any contributions to that profile, they'll be on that page.
My one wish for the DVD Profiler online database: Ban or remove the disc-level profiles of TV season sets. It completely screws up/inflates the CLT.
FACT: Imdb is WRONG 70% of the time! Misspelled cast, incomplete cast, wrong cast/crew roles. So for those who want DVD Profiler to be "as perfect as Imdb", good luck with that.
Stop adding UNIT crew! They're invalid credits. Stop it!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 3,430
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
If you mean the fastest way to determine if a specific profile has not been contributed, then huskersport's method is indeed the way to go.

If, however, you want a list of profiles in your collection that have never been contributed, then ProfilerQuery can help. Search for a Profile Timestamp equal to 1899-12-30 (or whatever date format your Windows is configured for).

If you're new to ProfilerQuery, do take a look at the help file. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorAiAustria
Profiling since 2004
Registered: May 19, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Austria Posts: 4,718
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting huskersports:
Quote:
I right-click on the disc icon with the 2 people on it (to the right of the UPC). Then click on the pop-up "View contribution notes". This will take you to the profile's contribution page. If there are any contributions to that profile, they'll be on that page.

Profiles imported back then from the InterVocative site don't have contribution notes!

From my point of view the fastest - and comprehensive method:
Bring the profile to the screen (single click in the collection list)
Menu|Online|Refresh DVD from Invelos|Preview Changes


... not only shows if the profile exists online, but also what data is online...
Complete list of Common Names  •  A good point for starting with Headshots
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCubbyUps
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 4,109
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote


I forgot how I added this to the toolbar, but I just click on that and if the words 'Visit Profile Links Page' is black I know that the profile is in the online database. If it's greyed out, I know it hasn't.
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorAiAustria
Profiling since 2004
Registered: May 19, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Austria Posts: 4,718
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
This is the Extras Toolbar
Right click on any empty space in the toolbar area and select it:


... the small drop down button on the right side allows to customize the toolbar buttons...
Complete list of Common Names  •  A good point for starting with Headshots
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 3,430
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting CubbyUps:
Quote:
I forgot how I added this to the toolbar, but I just click on that and if the words 'Visit Profile Links Page' is black I know that the profile is in the online database. If it's greyed out, I know it hasn't.

That's a very astute observation. You can take it further to make it really useful.

Step 1 - Right click somewhere in the menu area and select Customize:


Step 2 - Select Commands, and the Online / Visit Profile Links Page


Step 3 - Drag this to some place in the toolbar of your choice. Result:


The globe will be in color if the profile exists online, or greyed out if it doesn't. So now all you have to do is to select the profile in question, and you can see in the toolbar if it has been contributed.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 3,430
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
Quoting CubbyUps:
Quote:
I forgot how I added this to the toolbar, but I just click on that and if the words 'Visit Profile Links Page' is black I know that the profile is in the online database. If it's greyed out, I know it hasn't.

That's a very astute observation. You can take it further to make it really useful.

Step 1 - Right click somewhere in the menu area and select Customize:


Step 2 - Select Commands, and the Online / Visit Profile Links Page


Step 3 - Drag this to some place in the toolbar of your choice. Result:


The globe will be in color if the profile exists online, or greyed out if it doesn't. So now all you have to do is to select the profile in question, and you can see in the toolbar if it has been contributed.


EDIT: I see that AiAustria came up with a similar solution while I was writing this.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorCubbyUps
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 4,109
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks you two, that made it even easier.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhuskersports
Registered: September 29, 2008
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 1,999
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Forgot about Intervocative. I didn't come along until 2008 (from the old DVDSpot). Good suggestions, guys!
My one wish for the DVD Profiler online database: Ban or remove the disc-level profiles of TV season sets. It completely screws up/inflates the CLT.
FACT: Imdb is WRONG 70% of the time! Misspelled cast, incomplete cast, wrong cast/crew roles. So for those who want DVD Profiler to be "as perfect as Imdb", good luck with that.
Stop adding UNIT crew! They're invalid credits. Stop it!
 Last edited: by huskersports
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 3,430
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
If you mean the fastest way to determine if a specific profile has not been contributed, then huskersport's method is indeed the way to go.

If, however, you want a list of profiles in your collection that have never been contributed, then ProfilerQuery can help. Search for a Profile Timestamp equal to 1899-12-30 (or whatever date format your Windows is configured for).

If you're new to ProfilerQuery, do take a look at the help file. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.

I just found out that this isn't 100% foolproof. I found a few profiles that had a different Profile Timestamp even though they were never uploaded. And unfortunately Profile Links Page is not part of the XML export, so it's not possible to query on that.
Still 1899-12-30 will catch the vast majority of them.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorAiAustria
Profiling since 2004
Registered: May 19, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Austria Posts: 4,718
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
I think, the same InterVocative issue. That's why I use the "Preview Changes" option.
Complete list of Common Names  •  A good point for starting with Headshots
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhuskersports
Registered: September 29, 2008
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 1,999
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting AiAustria:
Quote:
I think, the same InterVocative issue. That's why I use the "Preview Changes" option.


I've used that, but using that only shows contributions that have been approved. So I'll use the preview changes method...no contributions. Then I contribute my information, and I get the "A contribution has already been made with the info I'm contributing" line. So someone has contributed information, it just hasn't been approved yet. That's why I use the right-click contribution notes method.
My one wish for the DVD Profiler online database: Ban or remove the disc-level profiles of TV season sets. It completely screws up/inflates the CLT.
FACT: Imdb is WRONG 70% of the time! Misspelled cast, incomplete cast, wrong cast/crew roles. So for those who want DVD Profiler to be "as perfect as Imdb", good luck with that.
Stop adding UNIT crew! They're invalid credits. Stop it!
 Last edited: by huskersports
DVD Profiler Unlimited Registrantproverbs311031
Registered: May 30, 2007
Posts: 11
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1  Previous   Next